Let’s dress for success in our next metal detecting adventure!
In this article, I address the importance of appropriate clothing for this hobby. I provide some practical advice on choosing the right gear to ensure a maximum of comfort, safety and efficiency while looking for your next treasure.
Let’s dive in!
- Proper clothing is essential for longue hunts. It provides the necessary comfort & safety you need to be successful.
- Factors like weather, soil conditions, sun & insect presence, should all be considered before you choose the right clothes.
- Proper care is extremely important to prolong the lifespan of your clothing & gear.
How important is proper clothing for metal detecting?
Clothing is very important especially for long detecting sessions. This will ensure comfort and adaptability even if you are dealing with harsh weather conditions, sun exposure and possible hazards like insects, plants and difficult terrains. For example:
- Comfortable moisture-wicking fabrics will help your body maintain its temperature.
- Water-resistant footwear (Check this example) will provide you with good support and protection.
- Other elements like gloves & knee pads will give you even more protection.
These are not only good to make you enjoy more the hobby, but also to help you solely focus on your detecting tasks. This will make you chances of success much higher.
What Factors should you consider?
To choose the right clothing for your hunts you need to consider the following elements:
- Weather: It is always a good idea to use moisture-wicking fabrics if you prefer to stay dry in wet weather conditions. You also use waterproof or water-resistant gear in those conditions. You can learn how you need to metal detect in cold weather!
- Terrain: If you are dealing of uneven terrains that might contain dangerous element, then it is a great idea to user supportive footwear like hiking boots. You can use water shoes for beach detecting.
- Duration: If you are planning a hunt that might be more than 2 hours longue, then just opt for lightweight breathable materials to avoid fatigue.
- Sun Protection: Hats, sunglasses and sun-protective clothing are important to shield yourself from harmful UV rays.
- Insects: If you are going to hunt in a potential bug-prone area, then it would smart to consider long sleeves, pants and even insect repellent to minimize bites and distractions.
- Safety & visibility: Let’s say you are going to detect in places that might have vehicle traffic, then you probably should wear high-visibility clothing to increase your visibility.
List of Essential clothing items and specialty gear …
Below is an extensive list of essential clothing for metal detecting:
- Moisture-wicking shirts and pants: Will help regulate your body temperature and keep you dry throughout your hunt. You can add long sleeves & pants for protections against sun lights & insects.
- Sturdy, supportive footwear: You can use hiking boots on rough ground for maximum protection. And you can use waterproof shoes in wet conditions.
- Hat: It is better to use a wide-brimmed hat to protect both you face & neck from the sun. Opt for a hat with chin strap. It is more convenient in windy conditions.
- Sunglasses: Pick sunglasses with UV protection to protect your lovely eyes from harmful rays.
- Gloves: Choose a durable pair to protect your hands from dirt, sharp objects as well as things like snakes and scorpions. It would be even better to choose gloves with reinforced fingertips. These are more durable.
- Knee pads: Make sure they are cushioned to insure protection & comfort. Keep in mind that some detecting pants come with build-in knee pads (Like this example)!
- Layered clothing: Extremely useful in cold weather. Otherwise, you won’t be able to conduct a hunt more than one-hour longue.
- Pockets or pouches: Always opt for clothing with build-in pouches to conveniently carry potential tools such as a pinpoint, trowel & more …
Well, there are other clothing that could be included, but these are pretty much the most important ones!
Proper care and maintenance of metal detecting clothing …
I’ve personally notices that some hobbyists don’t care about their clothing care & maintenance. That’s why I thought it would probably be a good idea to share these tips:
- Always have a look at the care instructions on your clothing tag before washing it. Some clothing should not be put in a washing machine, others could be easily deteriorated if used with certain cleaning products.
- Avoid using fabric softeners or bleach at all costs. Instead, you might opt for gentle laundry detergent.
- If you want to use a washing machine, always use cold water on a gentle cycle.
- Avoid dryers as much as possible. Hang drying, although it would take more time, it is safer for your clothes.
- Store metal detecting clothing in a cool & dry place. (BTW, you can learn how you can store your metal detector)
- Avoid direct exposure to sunlight. Otherwise, clothing might start fading!
- If you notice a sign of wear and tear like holes, then try to repair those tears asap. In other respects, this would cause even more damage.
- Don’t clean muddy or wet clothes immediately! Instead, allows them to dry before you can store or wash them.
Final Thoughts …
Hopefully, by reading this article, you won’t take proper clothing for granted. As you’ve seen, these are very important for your comfort, protection, convenience, and overall metal detecting experience!
Don’t forget to watch out for factors like weather & ground type. These, and others, will help indicate which clothing you should opt for.