Buying a brand new metal detector is such an exciting moment! It is like acquiring a new baby at home, that’s why many detectorists are even collecting detectors in their closet …
… However, detectors (at least the most reliable ones) are not cheap, so you need to be aware of their life time, how much they would last up and working properly, and even how to be able to make the most out of your machine for as much time as possible!
That’s why before getting this new baby at home, you definitely need to consider this factor …
… In this short quick post, I will provide you with most of the details you need to understand.
How long do metal detectors last?
This really depends on the model you are actually using and how you treat your detector!
For example, some detectorists still use a Garrett Deepseeker, which is over 30 years old and still functions as well as a new detector…
… Indeed, if you look after your gear, then you can get nothing less than 10 easy years out of your detector even while using it consistently!
For example, the Garrett ACE 400 (Check it Here on Amazon) is known to have a lifespan of at least ten years.
Also, Fisher detectors come with a warranty of 5 years, and they are known to last for at least five years in perfect condition.
Examples of Metal Detectors that can last for a long time …
1. Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker (Adapted for Beginners)
This model (Check it Here on Amazon) stands out when it comes to its longevity. Even if it comes with a very cheap price!
Also, it comes with a five-year manufacturer warranty and is known to last you for at least 10 years without any issues if used properly.
2. Garrett AT Pro (Adapted for intermediate hobbyists)
Most Garrett Products are known for their high-quality and technical features.
The AT Pro (Check it Here on Amazon) stands out amongst others since it is not only a reliable detector that functions easily in all terrains and all-weather, but it is also known to last for a good ten years.
It comes with a two-year manufacturer’s warranty from Garrett.
3. Garrett ATX (Adapted for advanced detectorists)
This model (Check it Here on Amazon) was made based on the military standard!
So, it is simply means to go through the toughest conditions of usage and for a ridiculous amount of time.
Basically it is a new version of the old Garrett Deepseeker! And since the latter could last for 30 years of consistent usage, then you can imagine what the ATX is capable of!
What factors can influence the longevity of a metal detector?
You need to carry out routine maintenance on your machine to make it last longer. Here are some tips to increase the life of your device:
- Use lubricants to keep the wires working nicely. Wires link the search coil and your control box, which is the most important part of transferring the signals. Some detectors don’t have the wires hidden inside. This is why proper wire maintenance is necessary.
- Use a brush to clean the joints of the detector, especially after you detect on the beach. The brush can clean the sand, and it is better to clean it with fresh water.
- Take out the batteries when you decide not to use your machine for a long time. The old batteries could damage your machine.
- When storing your detector, keep it in a cool and dry place.
- Keep your detector away from the water during storage, and if it’s not waterproof, then avoid hunting in or near water.
- The Use Manual is extremely important! Check it out and follow all the instructions and best practices to use it properly and so to help it last much longer.
Does the long warranty mean the detector will last longer?
No, a long warranty does not mean the detector will last longer all the time…
… It only indicates that the detector should last for that long at least without giving any problems.
However, if you don’t take proper care of your detector, then it will start giving trouble even within the warranty period.
What Brands produce the most lasting detectors?
The 4 Brands/Manufacturers I trust the most are:
- Garrett Electronics
- Minelab, by the way the Minelab Equinox 800 (Check it Here on Amazon), is my favorite machine!
- Fisher Labs
- Bounty Hunter
These are not the only ones out there! You can have a look at these other good Detecting Brands …
Hope you’ve got all your questions answer! If not, let me know if you’ve got any other questions, I would be extremely happy to help …
… If you are looking for more details on how to choose you detector … Then you definitely should have a look at this guide on how to make a metal detector buying choice! You will learn a lot …